Do you ever look back on your life and consider the alternate routes it could have taken? What would have happened if you’d said yes instead of no to a question?
Maybe I’d be living in a different city, maybe I’d have lost or gained significant friendships, maybe I’d be driving a luxury car, and by luxury I mean one that came with cruise control…
I’m a storyteller and writer at heart. I often reflect on the choices one makes and the ‘what if’s’ had the choice been different. After all, that’s really just plot we’re talking about. How will the world around you change by choosing x instead of y?
My day job is in the process of transition and it got me thinking about the many different transitions my career has had to date. If I ignore actual position titles, and go by the tasks I completed day to day, then I have worked in the following fields:
- professional alphabetizer
- storage room cleaner
- napkin folder
- duster of knick knacks
- pizza maker and garbage taker-outer
- gift wrapper
- sales auditor
- bra fitter
- coach and counselor for commission sales team (AKA: the shark pit)
- latte maker
- social media guru
- sex trivia host
And that got me thinking to what I could’ve done in my career had a few application processes gone different. Imagine it, somewhere in an alternate universe, I am known as Jess Witkins:
- district level lingerie manager
- Catholic school secretary
- organic farm office manager
- grocery store deli worker
- hotel night manager
- bank teller
- or if my father had his way, cake decorator – which could work if y’all are in the mood for an “abstract” trend in the bakery business. God, remember that time I attempted to bake a tart??!
I can’t say I regret any of these “lost” positions. But I found it most entertaining to consider what life would have been like had I…worked in close proximity with nuns or spent eight hours shaving a honeyed ham.
Life would be very different. I might even pick one of these faux jobs and use it as a writing prompt just for giggles.
What about you? What alternate life would you lead had a past job application worked out?
Do we share a pension for habits and ham? 😉