It’s that time of year again! The 5th Annual To Be Read Pile Challenge hosted by Adam @ Roof Beam Reader is happening!
The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your “to be read” pile (within 12 months).
Specifics: Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2013 or later (any book published in the year 2012 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile – I WILL be checking publication dates). Caveat: Two (2) alternates are allowed, just in case one or two of the books end up in the “can’t get through” pile.
Prize: Everyone who successfully completes their 12 books in 12 months will be entered to win a $50 gift card to Amazon.com or The Book Depository!
Hurry up! Your list must be posted by January 15th!
I must admit, 2013 was a TOTAL FLOP. You know how many books on my list I read? Three. Just three. I kind of got sidetracked reading humor books for research last year. This year, I’ve built some into my list. Here goes!!
My 2014 To Be Read Pile
- How Did You Get This Number by Sloane Crosley
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
- One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
- Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
- Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Crash Into You by Roni Loren
- She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
- Bonk by Mary Roach
- The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
1. A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
2. The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry
What titles are on your TBR list?
The Guilty Pleasure Guide to Selecting the Right Audio Book!
Some of my favorite guilty pleasure ways to spend the day include books, or audio books, and LIBRARIES! On this recently Freshly Pressed blog, the librarian bloggers of Eleventh Stack give us their tried and true recommendations for a perfect audio book. And they recommend my DFW Con pal, James Rollins! Woohoo!
Some of my favorites include Into Thin Air, The 19th Wife, and Shanghai Girls.
What are your favorite audio books?
Audio books are great for providing entertainment for those weary of just sitting in traffic and listening to the woes of the world on news radio, bored with the nattering talking heads mouthing the same opinions over and over; or crazy from the popular songs that you just can’t get out of your head because that’s all the radio is playing these days. Audio books fill the bill and are especially great if you are on a long car trip, alone or with your family. Over the years a reader’s voice can become like an old friend.
Professional book readers can make or break a story. Most readers are actors, some very well-known film and TV performers, and others from the stage and regional theater. Some have made quite a lucrative profession out of reading books and are just plain excellent. Oft-lauded readers include Jim Dale, who has read…
View original post 847 more words
Surely this day would never come. Me, get a stylish blogger award? And it happened without me having to bargain for it! I mean no one was trapped under something heavy, or starving, or having an allergic reaction, or unable to zip their pants on their own! It just happened! Woohoo! I always new I was stylish!
So how did this eighth wonder of the world occur? It’s all thanks to Mckenzie at the Unabridged Girl. Always so supportive and genuine, her blog is like checking in with your bff to see what’s up. She shares her struggles, so you ask if you can buy her some chocolate, when she is consumed with sweets, she writes flash fiction, shares writing quirks, and tales of friendship. Thanks Mckenzie, it’s always fun to read your blog!
If I am understanding this blogger award thing correctly, it’s the new century’s popular way of sending a chain letter, right? Only I don’t have to pay any money to a cause that helps gorillas in a zoo or buy girl scout cookies. I can handle that. I do have to share with you some tidbits you might not know about me though. I’ll try to make them interesting.
- I think croutons are a perfectly acceptable snack.
- The sun hates me. I literally break out into hives if I don’t wear SPF 80. Although once, it happened in my childhood bedroom, and the only light on was a nightlight. Nature vs. Jess vs. Nurture?
- I loved the french film, Amelie, so much when I saw it, I rewound it (dvds weren’t out yet), and watched it all over again immediately.
- I love graveyards and walk through them as much as possible. On occasion, I’ve been known to tamper with some graves, but I swear it’s always respectfully. I think graveyards are full of stories.
5. I’m more beatnik than hippy someone told me. I’m quite liberal, I believe in being environmentally friendly, I am pro-diversity, I like to write and listen to music. But, I’m more content with a cup of coffee in my hand than a joint. 🙂
6. In high school, my favorite musician was Tori Amos and I have all her albums! One year for my birthday, my best friends decorated my locker with the lyrics from Raspberry Swirl. They rock! If interested, my new favorite singer is Serena Ryder, she’s pretty rocker!
7. Audio books have become my new favorite way to multi-task. I listen to them while I get ready in the morning or drive home sometimes. I find them especially wonderful when reading a book centered around a different culture or country. I like hearing a native speaker read it aloud, I can appreciate the voice of the characters more this way.
And now, to award the Stylish Blogger Award to some of my favorite bloggers:
Mark My Words: Mark is my go to guy for a laugh and a Portland, OR fix. If you love to laugh or love Portland and miss it like I do, you will get along well with Mark.
Mostly Bright Ideas: Charles is my role model wannabee. He writes eloquent, succinct prose and makes it look so easy I want to slap him, but I won’t because his writing is too damn good. Suck it, Charles! You’re amazing!
Conjuring My Muse: Margaret Reyes Dempsey is my roommate in a parallel life. So Madge, (I’m nicknaming you), it’s your turn to buy the TP!
Whenquiet’s Blog: Living my dream life in France and writing beautiful, moving poetry, she knows how to instill peace in her readers. I always find beauty in her blog.
Happy reading and writing!