LIVE FROM THE PARTHENON: Pat Benatar and Tricia Nixon!
It’s The Happiness Project Award Show
Happy Monday Everyone! I’ve been a lucky girl to receive 3 WHOLE AWARDS this past week! Still, I have a suspicion that the award bearers will try to redact their nominations after my last post’s guilty confession. 😉 So I must make this public NOW!
Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome himself, David N. Walker, nominated me for the WordPress Family Award! I’m very honored to have this title as it was my WordPress family who motivated me to keep writing! David is a part of that family and you should check out his award post because he nominated some of my favorite people in the blogosphere! Big hugs and high fives to all my WP peeps!
Then Mary Wallace, aka ViolaFury, made my Sunday by bestowing me with the Very Inspiring Blogger Award and another Liebster Award (Liebster means ‘friend’)! I really got to know Mary through ROW80, and she’s such a cheerleader for her fellow writers. Her comments and kindness (and Christmas cards) always make me smile! Her award post is chock full of writers I need to check out, so be sure you do too!
One of the fun parts of these blog awards is learning new things about the bloggers you follow. Mary answered 11 questions about herself and challenged me to do the same, so here goes:
1. What is your favorite video game?
The only one I was ever good at was Mario Brothers, but I have a fondness for both Mega-Man and Battle Toads. Therefore, it must be a three-way tie.
2. Do you prefer sleeping on a soft surface or hard surface?
I like a firmer mattress.
3. What is the most unusual food you have tried?
Baby octopus or squid head, both in South Korea
4. What is your favorite odd food or meal?
When I was little I was a big fan of french toast with gravy…
5. What is the first sense you turn to when describing something in your writing (sight, sound, taste, smell, touch)?
Sight. I’m a visual person, followed by smell. I don’t hear so good, unless I’m trying to sleep and then I hear EVERYTHING!
6. What is one of the cutest things you have ever seen in your life?
My niece and goddaughter, Sonja.
7. What is the ugliest thing you have ever seen or experienced?
8. Do you prefer typing or writing with a pen and paper?
When working on my book, I type. It’s just faster. But when thinking up ideas for it, or journaling in general, always pen and paper.
I get to start a new journal soon! Always exciting!
9. What is your favorite thing to drink?
This one’s hard. It depends on what I’m doing.
For writing: Green Tea Lattes
After a workout: Ice water or a Smoothie
Night in: Red wine
Hiking: Red wine in a canteen
10. Do you prefer road trips, airline travel, train travel, other when going long distances?
All of the above – YES! When do we leave?
11. What is your favorite way to watch TV/movies? (as in do you watch on a big screen, your laptop, TIVO…)
I watch some shows on my laptop, but we don’t have TIVO or Netflix. I get all my movies from the library and watch them on the TV.
Ok, folks, here’s what I want to do! Let’s all nominate 2 bloggers and share links to their sites in the comments! Nominate one for the WordPress Family (or Liebster Award if blogspot’s yer home base – it’s cool) and one for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award!
WordPress Family Award: Tiffany A. White – Fellow redhead and movie buff, I’m convinced we’re sisters. Plus – this girl donates proceeds from her AWESOME book Football Sweetheart anytime there’s a disaster. She’s got a heart of gold, and one on her finger now too – CONGRATS TIFF!!!
Very Inspiring Blogger Award: Ingrid Schaffenburg – Ingrid always writes such inspiring posts. She’s got an old soul and faces adversity with poise and acceptance. She is always learning something new, and has so many talents; it’d be easier for me to just hate her, but I can’t, because she’s kind and genuine and beautiful, inside and out.
Who will you nominate?
Surely this day would never come. Me, get a stylish blogger award? And it happened without me having to bargain for it! I mean no one was trapped under something heavy, or starving, or having an allergic reaction, or unable to zip their pants on their own! It just happened! Woohoo! I always new I was stylish!
So how did this eighth wonder of the world occur? It’s all thanks to Mckenzie at the Unabridged Girl. Always so supportive and genuine, her blog is like checking in with your bff to see what’s up. She shares her struggles, so you ask if you can buy her some chocolate, when she is consumed with sweets, she writes flash fiction, shares writing quirks, and tales of friendship. Thanks Mckenzie, it’s always fun to read your blog!
If I am understanding this blogger award thing correctly, it’s the new century’s popular way of sending a chain letter, right? Only I don’t have to pay any money to a cause that helps gorillas in a zoo or buy girl scout cookies. I can handle that. I do have to share with you some tidbits you might not know about me though. I’ll try to make them interesting.
- I think croutons are a perfectly acceptable snack.
- The sun hates me. I literally break out into hives if I don’t wear SPF 80. Although once, it happened in my childhood bedroom, and the only light on was a nightlight. Nature vs. Jess vs. Nurture?
- I loved the french film, Amelie, so much when I saw it, I rewound it (dvds weren’t out yet), and watched it all over again immediately.
- I love graveyards and walk through them as much as possible. On occasion, I’ve been known to tamper with some graves, but I swear it’s always respectfully. I think graveyards are full of stories.
5. I’m more beatnik than hippy someone told me. I’m quite liberal, I believe in being environmentally friendly, I am pro-diversity, I like to write and listen to music. But, I’m more content with a cup of coffee in my hand than a joint. 🙂
6. In high school, my favorite musician was Tori Amos and I have all her albums! One year for my birthday, my best friends decorated my locker with the lyrics from Raspberry Swirl. They rock! If interested, my new favorite singer is Serena Ryder, she’s pretty rocker!
7. Audio books have become my new favorite way to multi-task. I listen to them while I get ready in the morning or drive home sometimes. I find them especially wonderful when reading a book centered around a different culture or country. I like hearing a native speaker read it aloud, I can appreciate the voice of the characters more this way.
And now, to award the Stylish Blogger Award to some of my favorite bloggers:
Mark My Words: Mark is my go to guy for a laugh and a Portland, OR fix. If you love to laugh or love Portland and miss it like I do, you will get along well with Mark.
Mostly Bright Ideas: Charles is my role model wannabee. He writes eloquent, succinct prose and makes it look so easy I want to slap him, but I won’t because his writing is too damn good. Suck it, Charles! You’re amazing!
Conjuring My Muse: Margaret Reyes Dempsey is my roommate in a parallel life. So Madge, (I’m nicknaming you), it’s your turn to buy the TP!
Whenquiet’s Blog: Living my dream life in France and writing beautiful, moving poetry, she knows how to instill peace in her readers. I always find beauty in her blog.
Happy reading and writing!