It is time. You and I are going to make a mixtape.
Ok, technically a mix cd, but still, a mixtape.
Yes, even though hardly anyone has a device that will play cds nowadays. (It’s for my mother, she has at least two players that I know of.)
Since 2004 I started making my mom and sister mix cds for Christmas. It’s tradition now. And I rely on YOUR HELP to find new and exciting music to showcase for them.
It’s simple, just tell me what songs or artists you love listening to.
I make two cds: a phenomenal woman mix (highlighting all female artists) and a cafe mix (featuring songs you can chill out and cozy up to while sipping your morning coffee).
Two lucky participants will get copies of the mix cds as a thank you for sharing your song suggestions!
To get started, here are some highlights from the 2017 mixes.
Phenomenal Woman Mix
That’s Alright With Me ~ Andreya Triana
Higher ~ The Naked and Famous
Want You Back ~ HAIM
Deeper ~ Ella Eyre
The Old Churchyard ~ Offa Rex
Let It All Go ~ Birdy and Rhodes
I Followed Fires ~ Matthew and the Atlas
Without You ~ Oh Wonder
What’s on your playlist? Share in the comments!
Two random winners selected in the new year!
Hey fellow songsters!
Thank you all so much for the many music suggestions for the phenomenal woman and cafe mix cds this season! You fantastic people gave me 58 songs to check out!
I had a literal dance party listening to all the tunes you shared.
So it’s time to reveal the final playlists aaaaaand the cd winners!!
Check em out! Did your favorite bands and musicians make the cut?
Congratulations to this year’s winners of the mix cds –
Amy Kennedy Fosseen and Julie Glover!!!
Happy jamming, ladies!
Phenomenal Woman Mix
1. Little Red Wagon – Audra Mae and the Almighty Sound
2. Wherever is Your Heart – Brandi Carlile
3. Flashlight – Jessie J
4. Dangerous Days – Zola Jesus
5. Burning House – Cam
6. Alive – Sia
7. Night Like This – LP
8. Wildest Dreams – Taylor Swift
9. Lights and Camera – Yuna
10. Glow – Ella Henderson
11. Sound of a Woman – Kiesza
12. Hold Me Down – Halsey
13. Ex’s & Oh’s – Elle King
14. Love Myself – Hailee Steinfeld
15. She’s Not Me – Jenny Lewis
16. A Change is Gonna Come – Leela Jones
17. Water Under the Bridge – Adele
18. Get Up, Get On – Jill Andrews
19. Buffalo Stars – Leila Broussard
20. Stay Gold – First Aid Kit
1. Make This Leap – The Hunts
2. Diamonds – Johnnyswim
3. Riptide – Jasmine Thompson
4. Empress – Morningsiders
5. Hold Each Other – A Great Big World
6. Accustomed to the Dark – Theresa Andersson
7. America – First Aid Kit
8. San Andreas Faultline – Sugarcane Jane
9. The Heartache Can Wait – Brandi Carlile
10. Slow Motion – Phox
11. Sinner – Jeremy Loops
12. The Crossing – Meg Hutchinson
13. The Fairest of the Seasons – Anna Nalick
14. Let No Grief – The Wild Reeds
15. Shadowplay – The Saint Johns
16. Rox in the Box – The Decemberists
17. It’s Only Me – Dessa
18. Emmylou – First Aid Kit
19. Ends of the Earth – Lord Huron
20. Gulf Coast Highway – Red Molly
21. Acid Tongue – Jenny Lewis
Find any new favorites?
What are you listening to now?
Hello Music Lovers, dancers of the Fandago (whatever that may look like), toe tappers, belt it out singers in the car and shower, karaoke kings and queens, and your pandemic pandora fans!
About a month ago, I begged you to share your favorite female band/artist songs with me in the hopes of finding some swag new tunes! You can see everyone’s recommendations here! And believe me, there were gooooood ones!
I needed the ideas for a Christmas gift for my mother. Each year I make her a Phenomenal Woman Mix CD, a compilation of all female artists to get your groove on and feel like a powerful, courageous woman! It’s become a favorite and anticipated gift that my sister has also gotten in on.
I had so many awesome songs I had to split it into two cds, with the second cd being a “Cafe’ Mix” – songs that are more folksy, chill sounding. That cd is still being completed.
And because I’m a feminist – which actually means I’m for equality – I couldn’t leave my dad out this year, so I made a Gentleman’s Mix of all male artists too.
Alas, there was editing to be done. Only so many songs would fit on the cd, you know? But here it is, final edition! The Phenomenal Woman Mix 2012 and the first ever Gentleman’s Mix! Thanks you guys for the great recommendations!
Phenomenal Woman Mix 2012
1. Wide Awake by Katy Perry
2. Use Somebody by Brooke White
3. Leave Your Mark by Jessie Baylin
4. Amen by Edens Edge
5. Hell on Heels by The Pistol Annies
6. My Heart by The Ettes
7. Wild Young Hearts by the Noisettes
8. Tainted Love by Imelda May
9. I’m on Fire by Lindi Ortega
10. A Little More of You by Ashley Chambliss
11. Next To Me by Emeli Sande
12. Let Me Out by Imelda May
13. Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding
14. Fire by Ingrid Michaelson
15. Ride by Lana Del Rey
16. Stompa by Serena Ryder
17. Glorious by Stephanie Mabey
18. Ciao Monday by Emm Gryner
19. Me After You by Maia Sharp
20. Happy Pills by Norah Jones
Gentleman’s Mix 2012
1. Where I Belong by Building 429
2. Washed by the Water by NEEDTOBREATHE
3. Ho Hey by The Lumineers
4. I Wanna Know by the Straight 8’s
5. Sing for Love by Chuck Cheesman
6. Freightliner by Have Gun, Will Travel
7. The Pilot by The White Buffalo
8. All My Days by Alexi Murdoch
9. Home by Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros
10. Awake My Soul by Mumford & Sons
11. Heart Skips a Beat by Olly Murs
12. Home by Phillip Phillips
13. Angel Dance by Robert Plant
14. Harvest Moon by Neil Young
15. Better Days by Eddie Vedder
16. Lover of the Light by Mumford & Sons
17. Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men
Happy tuneage everyone! Find some new songs to buy? Well TWO LUCKY COMMENTERS will receive BOTH CDs just for hanging out this week on The Happiness Project!
Stay tuned for the final edition of the Cafe Mix (and feel free to leave more suggestions)!
Until then, may the groove be with you!