A new year brings with it new playlists! With over 70 recommendations from you all, these are some of my favorite mix tape songs yet!
While not every song shared can make it onto the mix lists, I enjoyed checking out all the artists and songs you suggested, and I downloaded many to my own library for further listening.
Here are the songs that made it on the 2018 Phenomenal Woman and Cafe Mixes!
Phenomenal Woman Mix
1. Falling Water ~ Maggie Rogers
2. Pegasi ~ Jesca Hoop
3. Good Thing Gone ~ Elle King
4. Shine On ~ May Erlewine
5. Hearts Beat Loud ~ Keegan DeWitt & Kiersey Clemons
6. Only Love Can Hurt Like This ~ Paloma Faith
7. Don’t Wait ~ Maipei
8. Great One ~ Jessie Reyez
9. Light On ~ Maggie Rogers
10. Dream ~ Bishop Briggs
11. Armor ~ Sara Bareilles
12. Always Remember Us This Way ~ Lady Gaga
13. She’s Got You ~ Rhiannon Giddens
14. Best Years of My Life ~ Pistol Annies
15. Space Cowboy ~ Kasey Musgraves
16. Boy Band Hero ~ Emily Kinney
17. Shadow on the Wall ~ Ruby Amanfu
18. Something American ~ Jade Bird
19. Yours ~ Ella Henderson
20. Velodrome ~ Dessa
1. Fine ~ Noah Kahan
2. Blue Ridge Mountains ~ Larkin Poe
3. Two Blue Eyes ~ Tall Heights
4. Famous ~ Serena Ryder
5. Heart of Somebody ~ Caroline Spence
6. Kings & Queens ~ Mat Kearney
7. Slow Burn ~ Kasey Musgraves
8. Us ~ James Bay
9. Hurt Somebody ~ Noah Kahan & Julia Michaels
10. Roll the Bones ~ Shakey Graves
11. Say Love ~ James TW
12. Beyond ~ Leon Bridges
13. If I Say ~ Mumford & Sons
14. Leave a Light On ~ Humbird
15. Telluride ~ The Lone Bellow
16. Stranger ~ Sawyer Fredericks
17. The Gold ~ Manchester Orchestra
18. Everytime I Hear That Song ~ Brandi Carlile
19. Unraveling ~ Frances Cone
20. Your Water ~ Parker Millsap & Sarah Jarosz
Now, without further ado, the winners of the mix tapes themselves, and with great gratitude for their suggestions as I used some from each of them, the 2018 mix tape collections go to Darla from She’s a Maineiac and Mark from Swinged Cat!
Until next time, keep dancing, friends!
And feel free to share more of your favorite songs below
as the search for this year’s fave tunes begins NOW!
Between blog comments, facebook and Twitter, I received 70 song and musician suggestions for the 2016 Phenomenal Women and Cafe Mix playlists – my annual gift of new music for my mom and sister.
Thank you to everyone who shared suggestions and music videos for my search. Several of your recommendations made the final list and I’m excited to share them with you in the new year. Here’s what I’m currently dancing to!
The 2016 Phenomenal Women Playlist
- Stranger to My Happiness by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
In honor of this phenomenal woman who passed in 2016. She is one of my favorite live performers to have seen. So much soul. Felt the need to kick off the playlist with a song from her album “Give the People What They Want”.
2. Best Kept Secret by case/lang/veirs
3. Into the Wild by LP
4. Wild Things by Alessia Cara
5. No Diggity by Postmodern Jukebox featuring Ariana Savalas
6. Million Reasons by Lady Gaga
7. We Break the Dawn by Michelle Williams
8. The Greatest by Sia
I’m a Sia fan. I love her music videos and the unusual ways the dancers move. I think it’s beautiful.
9. Heaven Knows by First Aid Kit
10. I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Postmodern Jukebox featuring Maiya Sykes
Shoutout to Amber West for recommending some Postmodern Jukebox tunes for the mix, which have not been included before and leant a variety of sounds and styles. I loved this cover of a song by The Killers.
11. Heart of My Own by Basia Bulat
12. Wildewoman by Lucius
13. Tokyo Sunrise by LP
Hands down, my favorite musician this year has been LP. I discovered her last year and included “Night Like This” on the 2015 mix, but since then, she’s released another album and I’ve been playing her nonstop, so two songs made the list this year.
14. Wildest Moments by Jessie Ware
15. Scars to Your Beautiful by Postmodern Jukebox featuring Sara Niemietz
16. Beautiful Life by Judith Hill
Judith Hill is a musician I have tried to include for the last several years and could never quite fit in. Came across this song off the 2015 album, Back in Time, and fell in love. This music video is a paired down version of the song, but it’s gorgeous either way.
17. Runaway by Aurora
18. Got Your Number by Serena Ryder
19. Road Less Traveled by Lauren Alaina
20. In the Morrow by Brandi Carlile
The 2016 Cafe Mix
- Happiness by NEEDTOBREATHE
The hubs and I are both fans of NEEDTOBREATHE and this is off their new album, Hard Love.
2. Alaska by Maggie Rogers
3. Red Hands by Walk Off The Earth
4. Trying So Hard Not to Know by Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats
5. The Walker by Fitz & the Tantrums
6. White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes
7. Unsteady by X Ambassadors
8. Hold Back the River by James Bay
James Bay was a discovery the hubs and I found through an indie artist bio-vid we came across and we loved his sound.
9. Lost Stars by Adam Levine
10. Growing Things by Shook Twins
11. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac
12. Out of My League by Fitz & the Tantrums
13. I Found by Amber Run
14. Snow by Lisa Hannigan
15. Wicked Game by Chris Isaak
16. House of Mercy by Sarah Jarosz
Sarah Jarosz has been another musician I’ve had in my collection and tried to include for several years, but hadn’t. This year her 2016 album, Undercurrent, was added to my iTunes and I loved this song.
17. Home Nights by Sugarcane Jane
18. Woodwork by Sleeping at Last
19. Morning Noon & Night by Ryan Shaw
20. Thank You by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
Here’s another group I can’t help but groove to when I listen.
And now, the winners of the mix giveaways! Thank you all again so much for the song recommendations, I love listening to all your favorite tunes and they are a huge help in making these playlists.
Hey Music Lovers,
For the past four years, I’ve called on you to share your favorite songs and musicians with me for a reoccurring nerdy gift I always give my mom and sis for Christmas. A mixtape.
Since 2007, I’ve made them a personal playlist of phenomenal women. Every song is a female musician. And the tunes are typically upbeat. It’s the kind of thing you’d play before going out, or pumping yourself up for some hours in the kitchen or cleaning. Songs that make you move.
When a need arrived to add some more mellow songs, as well as male musicians, I created the Cafe’ Mix. The songs you’d listen to while holding a mug of your favorite warm beverage and gazing out the window, or curled up on the couch while reading a book.
It has become a favorite gift of my mother and sister (partially because they are busy women who don’t have time to search for new music and don’t have smartphones yet – my sis does now though). When they get the new Phenomenal Women Mix and Cafe Mix, they play them all year long.
This is where you come in.
I need your help! Tell me your favorite songs! The ones you’ve thumbs up’d, hit replay on, shazam’d, go back to again and again when you hit “a mood”.
Tell me in the comments what your favorite song recommendations are for each album. Last year, you gave me 58 songs to listen to!
To thank you, I’ll draw two random commenters to also receive copies of the cds and post the complete lists in the New Year!
Thank you all so much for your input. I’ve missed you. Here’s to making the new year…well, phenomenal!
Song Ideas to Get You Started:
Phenomenal Women Mix
Wolf by First Aid Kit
Knots by Lisa Hannigan
Wild Young Hearts by the Noisettes
Fare Thee Well by Marcus Mumford and Oscar Isaac
Heart Beats by Johnnyswim
You and Me by Sara Watkins
With Christmas just a month away, I’ve got to get cracking on my go to gift for my mum and sis.
The Ultimate Mix CD Project
Since 2007 I’ve given them each a Phenomenal Women’s Mix CD, a compilation of all female artists and the songs are usually upbeat and dance-worthy. A few years ago I added in what I call a Cafe’ Mix – mellow music for hanging at home and which allows male and female artists. Since 2012, I’ve enlisted YOUR help with creating those awesome playlists.
I need your brilliant ideas again now!
And to thank you, I’ll pick 2 commenters at random to win copies of the 2 cds!
I’m guessing no one wants my fake NaNo album – created in a black hole of stress rage. I called it Blames it On the Hormones.
No takers? None? Ok.
Then here are some ideas to get you thinking about types of songs to suggest!
For the Phenomenal Women Mix:
My Silver Lining ~ First Aid Kit
This is the song I keep playing on repeat. Lurve!
Hideaway ~ Kiesza
She did this music video in one take. One take!!!
Enough ~ The Mrs
The ladies behind the magic talking mirror. Had to be included!
For the Cafe’ Mix:
Paper Cup ~ The Shoe
Did you know actress Jena Malone has a band? And it’s awesome! This video is flippin’ weird, but I love this song, and every other song on their debut album I’m Okay.
Poison & Wine ~ The Civil Wars
Haunting and beautiful. Hurt and yet thankful. Haven’t we all felt this way at some point?
Stay With Me ~ Bernhoft
A great male addition to my mix. Love the song, and hadn’t heard much buzz about him before, but found this song via my Songza app.
What do you think of these tunes so far?
What other songs should I add? Share your favorites!
The first is called the Phenomenal Woman Mix – it’s a collection of all female artists/bands that are feel good and dance worthy!
The second I’ve dubbed the Cafe’ Mix – a more mellow, relax at home with a cup of coffee blend of male and female artists.
I need your help!
What songs/artists do you recommend I add to the mixes?
Here’s some of the songs I’ve already compiled to give you an idea…
For the Phenomenal Woman Mix:
Torpedo by Jillette Johnson – Power number to start the day feeling like you can conquer the world.
Closer by Tegan and Sara – Definite dance in your underpants all weekend!
This is What Makes Us Girls by Lana Del Ray – I love Lana’s retro Nancy Sinatra look and velvety voice. This is her latest song.
For the Cafe’ Mix:
The One That Got Away by The Civil Wars – Haunting and amazing. Perfect for staring out the window and reflecting on your past.
Please, Baby Please by Serena Ryder – Serena’s been on the last 2 mixes as she is my favorite musician. She just released her new album this fall, called Harmony, and every song is soulfully wonderful.
Heartbeats by Johnnyswim – Romantic and moody, I love both of their voices immensely.
What do you recommend for these mixes?
Please share! I’ll put my favorite suggestions in next week’s blog post and THREE lucky commenters will receive their own copies of both cds as well!
Hey fellow music lovers! I had so much fun chatting with you guys about music that I want more of it! I’m sharing with you some of my favorite music finds from the suggestions YOU left last blog, and asking you for MORE! I know, I’m so greedy. But you guys are a wealth of titillating tuneage!
If you’re just tuning in, I’m in the works of creating 2 mix cd’s for my mom for Christmas. For the past 5 years, I’ve made her a phenomenal woman mix. And I’m working on 2012’s now! But I’ve found so much great music, I’m taking some of the folksier ones and making a Cafe’ Mix as well.
Many of you named artists I already knew and loved. I thought, for those curious minds, I’d share the playlist from 2011’s Phenomenal Woman Mix!
Phenomenal Woman Mix 2011
- Lights by Ellie Goulding
- Cosmic Love by Florence + the Machine
- With or Without You by Sarah Darling
- Never Forget You by the Noisettes
- Pride and Joy by Brandi Carlile
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? by Amy Winehouse
- Waves and the Both of Us by Charlotte Sometimes
- All Your Life by The Band Perry
- Sweet Ride by Courtney Jaye
- When I Look At You by Miley Cyrus
- Don’t Stop by Gin Wigmore
- Everybody by V.V. Brown
- Little Lie by Lindi Ortega
- The Treehouse Song by Ane Brun
- On the Run by Tina Dico
- Shake it Out by Florence + the Machine
- Crazy Amazing by V.V. Brown
- Sing You Home by Xenia
- Tightrope by Janelle Monae
- Here I Go Again by Audra Mae
I’m going to extend the mix tape contest through this weekend too. I’ll be randomly picking 3 commenters between this post and the previous Mix Tape blog for a chance at one of the following,or heck, ALL OF THE ABOVE!
- a chance to do a guest post about their guilty pleasure
- a guest post from me on a topic TBD
- a mix cd of tunes selected just for you!
My favorite recommendations for the Cafe’ Mix so far:
Werewolf by Fiona Apple (recommended by Eric)
An all too true poetic encounter of some relationships. Been way too long since I listened to Fiona.
If Love is a Red Dress by Maria McKee (recommended by Dawn)
This song is great, and apparently on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack! Quentin Tarantino marathon anyone?
My favorite recommendations for the Phenomenal Woman Mix so far:
The Only Place by Best Coast (recommended by Mark)
Is this song in a commercial? I could swear I’d heard it before, which made it instantly catchy and awesome!
Glorious by Stephanie Mabey (power ballad recommended by Julie)
Beautiful! Just beautiful! And for fun, you seriously all need to check out Mabey’s tune, The Zombie Song – it’s a riot!
Next to Me by Emeli Sande’ (artist recommended by Victoria)
Victoria does a Sunday Songs post and this week she featured Emeli Sande’ covering John Lennon’s Imagine, which is also great, but I loved this original tune by her.
Beast of Burden by Bette Midler (Julie gets a second nod after I saw THIS VIDEO!)
Don’t you want to watch this video every day for the rest of your life?!
Ok folks, there’s some of the high contenders so far! Don’t forget to comment, comment, comment below! Please leave as many female artists/bands as possible! Three lucky winners to be announced on monday’s blog where I also introduce a special guest music star!
Hey Everyone! This Guilty Pleasures Friday, we’re doing something a little different. I’m asking for your help and recommendations for a present for my mom!
Every holiday I give my mom a Phenomenal Woman Mix as one of her Christmas gifts and this year I’m finding lots of tunes, but in really different styles. So I’ve decided to give her both a “Cafe’ Mix” and a Phenomenal Woman Mix (upbeat music that makes you sing in the car or dance to).
So now, I’m about halfway through both and I need suggestions!
I thought I’d share with you some of my favorite music finds for the two compilations, and would love to hear your ideas for additional songs to go on either cd!
I thought we needed a fun contest!
I will pick 3 commenters at random who will win their choice of the following:
- a chance to do a guest post about their guilty pleasure
- a guest post from me on a topic TBD
- a mix cd of tunes selected just for you!
Let the jam begin!
Here’s some of the tunes for the Cafe’ Mix so far:
Where’d All the Living Go – Imaginary Cities
Never Quit Loving You – Jill Barber
You and Me – Sara Watkins
Tunes for the Phenomenal Woman Mix:
Let Me Out – Imelda May
Wild Young Hearts – The Noisettes
My Heart – The Ettes
Blue Bird – Lindi Ortega
Did you notice a trend?
All recommendations should be female artists please! That’s what makes it a phenomenal women mix!
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Did you find some new tunes you like too?
Hello Music Lovers, dancers of the Fandago (whatever that may look like), toe tappers, belt it out singers in the car and shower, karaoke kings and queens, and your pandemic pandora fans!
About a month ago, I begged you to share your favorite female band/artist songs with me in the hopes of finding some swag new tunes! You can see everyone’s recommendations here! And believe me, there were gooooood ones!
I needed the ideas for a Christmas gift for my mother. Each year I make her a Phenomenal Woman Mix CD, a compilation of all female artists to get your groove on and feel like a powerful, courageous woman! It’s become a favorite and anticipated gift that my sister has also gotten in on.
I had so many awesome songs I had to split it into two cds, with the second cd being a “Cafe’ Mix” – songs that are more folksy, chill sounding. That cd is still being completed.
And because I’m a feminist – which actually means I’m for equality – I couldn’t leave my dad out this year, so I made a Gentleman’s Mix of all male artists too.
Alas, there was editing to be done. Only so many songs would fit on the cd, you know? But here it is, final edition! The Phenomenal Woman Mix 2012 and the first ever Gentleman’s Mix! Thanks you guys for the great recommendations!
Phenomenal Woman Mix 2012
1. Wide Awake by Katy Perry
2. Use Somebody by Brooke White
3. Leave Your Mark by Jessie Baylin
4. Amen by Edens Edge
5. Hell on Heels by The Pistol Annies
6. My Heart by The Ettes
7. Wild Young Hearts by the Noisettes
8. Tainted Love by Imelda May
9. I’m on Fire by Lindi Ortega
10. A Little More of You by Ashley Chambliss
11. Next To Me by Emeli Sande
12. Let Me Out by Imelda May
13. Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding
14. Fire by Ingrid Michaelson
15. Ride by Lana Del Rey
16. Stompa by Serena Ryder
17. Glorious by Stephanie Mabey
18. Ciao Monday by Emm Gryner
19. Me After You by Maia Sharp
20. Happy Pills by Norah Jones
Gentleman’s Mix 2012
1. Where I Belong by Building 429
2. Washed by the Water by NEEDTOBREATHE
3. Ho Hey by The Lumineers
4. I Wanna Know by the Straight 8’s
5. Sing for Love by Chuck Cheesman
6. Freightliner by Have Gun, Will Travel
7. The Pilot by The White Buffalo
8. All My Days by Alexi Murdoch
9. Home by Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros
10. Awake My Soul by Mumford & Sons
11. Heart Skips a Beat by Olly Murs
12. Home by Phillip Phillips
13. Angel Dance by Robert Plant
14. Harvest Moon by Neil Young
15. Better Days by Eddie Vedder
16. Lover of the Light by Mumford & Sons
17. Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men
Happy tuneage everyone! Find some new songs to buy? Well TWO LUCKY COMMENTERS will receive BOTH CDs just for hanging out this week on The Happiness Project!
Stay tuned for the final edition of the Cafe Mix (and feel free to leave more suggestions)!
Until then, may the groove be with you!