A new year brings with it new playlists! With over 70 recommendations from you all, these are some of my favorite mix tape songs yet!
While not every song shared can make it onto the mix lists, I enjoyed checking out all the artists and songs you suggested, and I downloaded many to my own library for further listening.
Here are the songs that made it on the 2018 Phenomenal Woman and Cafe Mixes!
Phenomenal Woman Mix
1. Falling Water ~ Maggie Rogers
2. Pegasi ~ Jesca Hoop
3. Good Thing Gone ~ Elle King
4. Shine On ~ May Erlewine
5. Hearts Beat Loud ~ Keegan DeWitt & Kiersey Clemons
6. Only Love Can Hurt Like This ~ Paloma Faith
7. Don’t Wait ~ Maipei
8. Great One ~ Jessie Reyez
9. Light On ~ Maggie Rogers
10. Dream ~ Bishop Briggs
11. Armor ~ Sara Bareilles
12. Always Remember Us This Way ~ Lady Gaga
13. She’s Got You ~ Rhiannon Giddens
14. Best Years of My Life ~ Pistol Annies
15. Space Cowboy ~ Kasey Musgraves
16. Boy Band Hero ~ Emily Kinney
17. Shadow on the Wall ~ Ruby Amanfu
18. Something American ~ Jade Bird
19. Yours ~ Ella Henderson
20. Velodrome ~ Dessa
1. Fine ~ Noah Kahan
2. Blue Ridge Mountains ~ Larkin Poe
3. Two Blue Eyes ~ Tall Heights
4. Famous ~ Serena Ryder
5. Heart of Somebody ~ Caroline Spence
6. Kings & Queens ~ Mat Kearney
7. Slow Burn ~ Kasey Musgraves
8. Us ~ James Bay
9. Hurt Somebody ~ Noah Kahan & Julia Michaels
10. Roll the Bones ~ Shakey Graves
11. Say Love ~ James TW
12. Beyond ~ Leon Bridges
13. If I Say ~ Mumford & Sons
14. Leave a Light On ~ Humbird
15. Telluride ~ The Lone Bellow
16. Stranger ~ Sawyer Fredericks
17. The Gold ~ Manchester Orchestra
18. Everytime I Hear That Song ~ Brandi Carlile
19. Unraveling ~ Frances Cone
20. Your Water ~ Parker Millsap & Sarah Jarosz
Now, without further ado, the winners of the mix tapes themselves, and with great gratitude for their suggestions as I used some from each of them, the 2018 mix tape collections go to Darla from She’s a Maineiac and Mark from Swinged Cat!
Until next time, keep dancing, friends!
And feel free to share more of your favorite songs below
as the search for this year’s fave tunes begins NOW!
It is time. You and I are going to make a mixtape.
Ok, technically a mix cd, but still, a mixtape.
Yes, even though hardly anyone has a device that will play cds nowadays. (It’s for my mother, she has at least two players that I know of.)
Since 2004 I started making my mom and sister mix cds for Christmas. It’s tradition now. And I rely on YOUR HELP to find new and exciting music to showcase for them.
It’s simple, just tell me what songs or artists you love listening to.
I make two cds: a phenomenal woman mix (highlighting all female artists) and a cafe mix (featuring songs you can chill out and cozy up to while sipping your morning coffee).
Two lucky participants will get copies of the mix cds as a thank you for sharing your song suggestions!
To get started, here are some highlights from the 2017 mixes.
Phenomenal Woman Mix
That’s Alright With Me ~ Andreya Triana
Higher ~ The Naked and Famous
Want You Back ~ HAIM
Deeper ~ Ella Eyre
The Old Churchyard ~ Offa Rex
Let It All Go ~ Birdy and Rhodes
I Followed Fires ~ Matthew and the Atlas
Without You ~ Oh Wonder
What’s on your playlist? Share in the comments!
Two random winners selected in the new year!
You know the drill. We’re making a mixtape, people.
It’s old school. It’s outdated. Who even has a cd player anymore?
Well, my mother does. It’s a Bose. Because all old people own Boses.
Since 2007, my reoccurring christmas gift to my mother and sister is a Phenomenal Woman Mix Tape, and I rely on YOUR HELP to find the best songs to put on it. Bonus points – in the last five years, I also added a Cafe Mix for all those winter mug holding moments.
So tell me, who are the phenomenal women you’re listing to? And what coffee shop tunes are you chillin’ out with?
Two lucky commenters will win a copy of each CD!
Get started with these inspiring jams off last year’s CD!
Into the Wild by LP (Phenomenal Woman Mix)
I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Postmodern Jukebox featuring Maiya Sykes (Phenomenal Woman Mix)
Wildest Moments by Jessie Ware (Phenomenal Woman Mix)
Unsteady by X Ambassadors (Cafe Mix)
Growing Things by Shook Twins (Cafe Mix)
Since 2007 I’ve made my ma and sis a Phenomenal Woman Mix CD at Christmas. It’s a collection of the best songs sung by women. In 2012, I expanded that to include a second CD called the Cafe’ Mix, which basically housed all my favorite tunes heard at coffee shops (which is where I hang out). This CD can have female or male singers on it.
Sure, in the age of ipods and wireless mini-speakers, a gift like a mix CD could be considered outdated, or worse…lame. But this remains one of their favorite gifts and one of my favorite giveaways of the year!
Because this is the part where you give me music suggestions!
And in turn, once it’s completed, I gift the cds to TWO lucky commenters who shared suggestions with me!
To get started, here’s a look at last year’s line-ups. And here’s a few I’m currently thinking of for this year.
Phenomenal Woman Mix
“Hello” by Adele
I don’t really feel this song needs explanation. It’s Adele’s new hit. It’s going on the cd.
“Alive” by Sia
I’m a Sia fan, especially of her music videos. This one did not disappoint.
“Lights and Camera” by Yuna
Yuna is an artist that has crept up the past three years, and I’m happy to add this tune to the mix.
“Empress” by Morningsiders
I’m loving the piano part in this song.
“Sun Hands” by Local Natives
The final verdict on this one is still out, but I do like it.
“Lost Cause” by Priscilla Ahn
This melody is haunting and beautiful.
Now, as Joan Jett says, hit me with your best shot!
What song recommendations do you have for me to add to the
Phenomenal Woman and Cafe’ Mixes?
I can’t wait to listen!
Hey fellow music lovers! I had so much fun chatting with you guys about music that I want more of it! I’m sharing with you some of my favorite music finds from the suggestions YOU left last blog, and asking you for MORE! I know, I’m so greedy. But you guys are a wealth of titillating tuneage!
If you’re just tuning in, I’m in the works of creating 2 mix cd’s for my mom for Christmas. For the past 5 years, I’ve made her a phenomenal woman mix. And I’m working on 2012’s now! But I’ve found so much great music, I’m taking some of the folksier ones and making a Cafe’ Mix as well.
Many of you named artists I already knew and loved. I thought, for those curious minds, I’d share the playlist from 2011’s Phenomenal Woman Mix!
Phenomenal Woman Mix 2011
- Lights by Ellie Goulding
- Cosmic Love by Florence + the Machine
- With or Without You by Sarah Darling
- Never Forget You by the Noisettes
- Pride and Joy by Brandi Carlile
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? by Amy Winehouse
- Waves and the Both of Us by Charlotte Sometimes
- All Your Life by The Band Perry
- Sweet Ride by Courtney Jaye
- When I Look At You by Miley Cyrus
- Don’t Stop by Gin Wigmore
- Everybody by V.V. Brown
- Little Lie by Lindi Ortega
- The Treehouse Song by Ane Brun
- On the Run by Tina Dico
- Shake it Out by Florence + the Machine
- Crazy Amazing by V.V. Brown
- Sing You Home by Xenia
- Tightrope by Janelle Monae
- Here I Go Again by Audra Mae
I’m going to extend the mix tape contest through this weekend too. I’ll be randomly picking 3 commenters between this post and the previous Mix Tape blog for a chance at one of the following,or heck, ALL OF THE ABOVE!
- a chance to do a guest post about their guilty pleasure
- a guest post from me on a topic TBD
- a mix cd of tunes selected just for you!
My favorite recommendations for the Cafe’ Mix so far:
Werewolf by Fiona Apple (recommended by Eric)
An all too true poetic encounter of some relationships. Been way too long since I listened to Fiona.
If Love is a Red Dress by Maria McKee (recommended by Dawn)
This song is great, and apparently on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack! Quentin Tarantino marathon anyone?
My favorite recommendations for the Phenomenal Woman Mix so far:
The Only Place by Best Coast (recommended by Mark)
Is this song in a commercial? I could swear I’d heard it before, which made it instantly catchy and awesome!
Glorious by Stephanie Mabey (power ballad recommended by Julie)
Beautiful! Just beautiful! And for fun, you seriously all need to check out Mabey’s tune, The Zombie Song – it’s a riot!
Next to Me by Emeli Sande’ (artist recommended by Victoria)
Victoria does a Sunday Songs post and this week she featured Emeli Sande’ covering John Lennon’s Imagine, which is also great, but I loved this original tune by her.
Beast of Burden by Bette Midler (Julie gets a second nod after I saw THIS VIDEO!)
Don’t you want to watch this video every day for the rest of your life?!
Ok folks, there’s some of the high contenders so far! Don’t forget to comment, comment, comment below! Please leave as many female artists/bands as possible! Three lucky winners to be announced on monday’s blog where I also introduce a special guest music star!
Hello Music Lovers, dancers of the Fandago (whatever that may look like), toe tappers, belt it out singers in the car and shower, karaoke kings and queens, and your pandemic pandora fans!
About a month ago, I begged you to share your favorite female band/artist songs with me in the hopes of finding some swag new tunes! You can see everyone’s recommendations here! And believe me, there were gooooood ones!
I needed the ideas for a Christmas gift for my mother. Each year I make her a Phenomenal Woman Mix CD, a compilation of all female artists to get your groove on and feel like a powerful, courageous woman! It’s become a favorite and anticipated gift that my sister has also gotten in on.
I had so many awesome songs I had to split it into two cds, with the second cd being a “Cafe’ Mix” – songs that are more folksy, chill sounding. That cd is still being completed.
And because I’m a feminist – which actually means I’m for equality – I couldn’t leave my dad out this year, so I made a Gentleman’s Mix of all male artists too.
Alas, there was editing to be done. Only so many songs would fit on the cd, you know? But here it is, final edition! The Phenomenal Woman Mix 2012 and the first ever Gentleman’s Mix! Thanks you guys for the great recommendations!
Phenomenal Woman Mix 2012
1. Wide Awake by Katy Perry
2. Use Somebody by Brooke White
3. Leave Your Mark by Jessie Baylin
4. Amen by Edens Edge
5. Hell on Heels by The Pistol Annies
6. My Heart by The Ettes
7. Wild Young Hearts by the Noisettes
8. Tainted Love by Imelda May
9. I’m on Fire by Lindi Ortega
10. A Little More of You by Ashley Chambliss
11. Next To Me by Emeli Sande
12. Let Me Out by Imelda May
13. Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding
14. Fire by Ingrid Michaelson
15. Ride by Lana Del Rey
16. Stompa by Serena Ryder
17. Glorious by Stephanie Mabey
18. Ciao Monday by Emm Gryner
19. Me After You by Maia Sharp
20. Happy Pills by Norah Jones
Gentleman’s Mix 2012
1. Where I Belong by Building 429
2. Washed by the Water by NEEDTOBREATHE
3. Ho Hey by The Lumineers
4. I Wanna Know by the Straight 8’s
5. Sing for Love by Chuck Cheesman
6. Freightliner by Have Gun, Will Travel
7. The Pilot by The White Buffalo
8. All My Days by Alexi Murdoch
9. Home by Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros
10. Awake My Soul by Mumford & Sons
11. Heart Skips a Beat by Olly Murs
12. Home by Phillip Phillips
13. Angel Dance by Robert Plant
14. Harvest Moon by Neil Young
15. Better Days by Eddie Vedder
16. Lover of the Light by Mumford & Sons
17. Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men
Happy tuneage everyone! Find some new songs to buy? Well TWO LUCKY COMMENTERS will receive BOTH CDs just for hanging out this week on The Happiness Project!
Stay tuned for the final edition of the Cafe Mix (and feel free to leave more suggestions)!
Until then, may the groove be with you!